Friday 7 September 2018

2018/2019 Hobby Season - To do list

This is new territory for me. I have been vaguely aware of 40k Addict for some time and the annual setting of hobby goals for the season. Well, this time around I've decided to play too.


The concept here is to make a 'to do' list for the coming hobby season (August to August for some reason) and give yourself a big old tick in the form of a delightful stamp when you get something done.


Delightful
I've been tracking the progress of my Adeptus Mechanicus army over the past year or so using an Excel spreadsheet and I've found it enormously motivating. I'm going to continue with this and hopefully add in some miniatures from some other 40k armies and other game systems.


So without further ado, let's see what's going on the list:


  1. Complete up to 3000 points of Adeptus Mechanicus/Imperial Knights.
    • Paint another Onager Dunecrawler.
    • Paint another five Skitarii Vanguard.
  2. Complete up to 4000 points of Adeptus Mechanicus/Imperial Knights.
    • Build and paint a Cerastus Knight Atropos.
    • Build and paint a pair of Kastelan Robots.
    • Build and paint a pair of Kastelan Robots.
  3. Finish painting Tyranid Heirophant Bio-Titan.
  4. Finish building and painting 300 points of Infinity Nomads.
I think that's a reasonable basis to start from. I'm going to consider these my core goals for the year and add some stretch goals below:


  1. Make a spreadsheet to track the completion of my Tyranid collection.
  2. Make some progress with the completion of said Tyranids. (Preferably paint more troops.)
  3. Play some games of Infinity with fully painted forces.
  4. Get a better grip on the rules for Infinity.
  5. Paint my Forgeworld Mechanicum Thanatar Siege Automata.
  6. Finish building and painting Mechanicum Vultarax Stratos Automata.
  7. Paint my Necromunda Goliath gang.
These goals are a bit more wooly in places and will hopefully firm up if I make any progress towards them. Infinity is a game system that I've really enjoyed but haven't played very much. I'd like to remedy that and get a good few games in this year. Necromunda falls much in the same boat; I haven't played it much but it's a lot of fun.


The couple of Mechanicum bits I have are beautiful models but they currently have no official rules in 40k which kills the motivation somewhat. I still hope to paint them soon though.


So there you have it. A year's worth of hobby progress goals. I'm bound to get sidetracked along the way somewhere (which can have it's own rewards) but I'd be thrilled if I could get to the end of this little lot by next August. Only time, and this blog, will tell.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck champ, I'm getting into Infinity with an Ariadna army as well this year. The models are a real challenge to paint, but also a real joy. The rules... well... let's just say it gets complicated :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed painting the models and the rules seem good so far (though it can get complicated at times). Unfortunately it always seems to take a back seat to 40k. Here's hoping I can find a bit of Infinity time.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for joining in, hope it helps. The August to August date was purely down to me having a shortage of content to write about one August and realising I needed to formalise my current goals, much like yourself. It then became an annual date to renew and review. The football season also starts around that time too, so it's not completely daft ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me Dave. I've never really done an end of year round up, so August to August seems fine with me.

      Delete
  3. That's a solid list to work from. I try to give myself deadlines like a game, event or blog post to force me to stay on target as otherwise I just end up getting distrac....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a deadline really does help. I took part in a builder campaign last year that was incredibly motivating.

      Delete
  4. A solid list fo rthe season, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it and wish you luck with it chief. Looking forward to seeing a lot of these come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rory. Here's hoping for a productive hobby season for all the blogging crew!

      Delete