Monday 21 January 2019

A Tale of Four Warlords - Sktarii Rangers complete

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm currently part of 'A Tale of Four Gamers' challenge with a few of my gaming buddies. This month, the goal is to paint up a patrol detachment for your chosen army (1HQ and 1 troops choice). I have chosen to continue building my Adeptus Mechanicus army. Now, I know that traditionally these challenges are used to start a new force from the ground up. However, as my darling wife has forbidden me from starting new armies (with good reason!) I am using this as an excuse to expand my Mechanicus forces. The best part is that I already own most of the models I will be painting, so I'm digging into the grey pile of shame which always feels good.

Anyway, on with the photos.

Skitarii Squad complete!
In the past I have had a bit of anxiety about painting Skitarii Rangers (as opposed to Vanguard). This is because I find their guns and heads more difficult to paint (all those lenses and details). However, I feel like I really hit my stride with these guys. I found a way of painting the rifles that I'm happy with, and I had a lot of fun with the Skitarii Alpha. 

Turn to the left!
As you can see, I've done a couple of guys with Transuranic Arquebus' (Arquebii? Arquebusiers??). On the table, I have mostly found these disappointing, but maybe now they're painted they will start to deliver?

I've also given my Alpha a power sword because apparently I am crazy and enjoy schizophrenic loadouts. Seriously, the Arquebus' can't move and fire, so the chances of him ever using his pretty pink sword are slim to none.

Witness the pinkness!
The sword was painted in a kind of quick and dirty glaze technique. It doesn't look that brilliant up close, but it didn't take too long, and it looks pretty impressive (if I do say so myself) from about a foot away. Which I consider perfectly fine for a 7 point infantryman.

Sniper squad! Charge!!
Anyway, all of this means that I need to paint up and HQ in the next ten days to hit my quota (and avoid being shamed by my peers). Given my glacial painting pace, it's a bit of a tall order! So, wish me luck and tune in at the end of the month to see if I made it.

4 comments:

  1. That blade looks pretty amazeballs actually. Great choice of colours with pink/purple against the greens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Siph! I'm really happy with the way the sword came out. It's just not a smooth as some others I've painted. Have you noticed more and more pink creeping into my models??

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks man! I mean, I assume this is a compliment.

      Delete