Tuesday 10 September 2019

Acastus Knight Porphyrion - Complete at last!

If you've read any of my posts over the last month or so you'll know I've been slaving away on my Knight Porphrion. Well, behold the fruits of my labours!

She's such a bruiser.
I started painting her at the College of Artisans event at Warhammer World and made some good progress. This is such a huge detailed miniature though that even with a jump start it still took ages for me to finish. Still, I feel it was worth the effort.

Feels like it's been a long time coming.
The paint scheme uses a lot of the same colours as my Imperial Knights and Adeptus Mechanicus models. However, I added some hazard striping borrowed from my 30k models and tried for a bit of a heat staining effect on the magna-lascannon barrels too. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.


I wore my paintbrush down to a nub.
I also tried to be a bit more creative with the base. For those that aren't aware, the Porphyrion isn't supplied with a base so I had to source one separately. In the end I opted for a laser cut mdf oval which I found on Ebay for a few quid. It seems to have suited my purposes pretty well. However, it is an absolutely huge area of base to cover, so I added, rocks, terrain, grass tufts and some splashes of different colours in an effort to break it up and make it look more realistic. I don't know if it really worked, but I feel like I was able to stretch myself as a painter and modeller when doing it.

Detail of the base.
I have become accustomed to smothering my Imperial Knights with transfers and the Porphyrion is no exception. I even treated myself to a horribly expensive transfer sheet from Forgeworld with which to decorate her. I have to say, despite the price, the Forgeworld transfers are really nice to work with and go on very smoothly. If you can afford it then they're well worth springing for.

Note the gold transfer on the face guard.
I have found that working on a model of this size leads to a bit of scale blindness after a while. So once I was done, I dug out one of my other knights to do a bit of comparison.

Truly titanic!
I hope you all like her. For me, it's been a bit of an arduous journey and I think I'm going to go and lie down in the recovery position for a little while. We'll see what emerges next once I recover my painting mojo.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my - make a third one and then register these Knights at Titan Owners Club! http://titanownersclub.blogspot.com/p/knight-banner.html Looks great and I like the cohesive colour choice for power cables matching your Power Weapons etc.

    Just wait until you attempt a Warlord! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Siph and good spot on the colour matching! I have five knights in my current household and a couple of armigers to boot. Perhaps I will register them at TOC.

      Delete
    2. Yeah do it and then come to next Walk! :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful stuff. I always forget how big they are, so thanks for the comparison shot.

    Love the lenses especially on the knight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rory! Yes, she's an absolute monster.

      Delete
  3. Hey, I was wondering what the size of the base you used on this was? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete