Monday 1 March 2021

Monster March - Warhammer Hydra - Week 1

Somehow it's time for Monster March again. That seemed to come around quickly!

For those who are unaware, Monster March is a community painting event hosted by Swordmaster over at Path of an Outcast. I have participated for the last four years and am very much looking forward to getting involved again this year with the hydra pictured below.

White undercoat for that old school look.

It's been quite a while since I updated the blog, but I felt like making the effort to support my favourite community painting event. Over the past couple of months I have been delving back into Warhammer Fantasy 5th edition and returning to my early wargaming roots. I've updated my ancient Dwarf army and begun building a horde of Night Goblins as well. The hydra which I will be painting for Monster March will form part of this force.

For anyone who doesn't remember the old orc and goblin rules from 5th edition fantasy (probably everyone?) they have a huge selection of monsters which can be ridden by various characters. I've chosen to add a hydra ridden by a Night Goblin shaman mostly because they're uncommon and I like the model.

The hydra itself is part of the Start Collecting: Anvilgard box set which I split with Blazmo over at Tabletop Apocalypse. He's working on a Dark Elf force, so it worked out nicely. For the shaman rider, I mostly used parts from the Night Goblin boss model along with a couple of chains from the Drukhari range.

So far, I've built the model along with the rider and primed it white. Next up is basing and then I'll start slapping on some basecoats. I'm not really sure what colour I want to paint it yet, so tune in next time to find out!

8 comments:

  1. Looking good so far - the obvious answer to what colour you should paint it is that it should be Goblin Green! Actually for my dragon I did think green with orange stripes down the back could be cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green and orange, got it! I'm wavering towards blue though......I guess we'll see once I start slapping paint on.

      Delete
  2. Great choice! Happy MonsterMarch; looking forward to seeing what you choose for a color or colors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! Been making some progress this week.

      Delete
  3. I only just recovered from Squaduary! That is a very cool model (I like it better than the squid-faced version!), I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marc. I've got some basecoats on her now, I'll do a progress update on Monday.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ed,

    Great model indeed! That goblin must be really special to handle such a beast :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's probably pretty crazy/terrified! But you can ride a hydra in the 5th edition rules so I figured why not.

      Delete