Tuesday 23 April 2019

Mechanicum Thanatar Siege Automata

The latest addition to (what I hope will be) my assorted collection of Horus Heresy Automata is the big daddy of them all. The Thanatar Siege Automata!

I just love this thing.
The Thanatar is armed with a Hellex plasma mortar which just might be the best weapon name in the entire 40k universe. I left the mortar off for painting and then glued it on afterwards. As you can see, I went for my usual pink colour for the plasma effect.

Stripy!
I laid down some hazard striping on the left shoulder using Tamiya masking tape. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I think I'll carry this through the rest of my 30k models.

Cool ammo feed.
The model wasn't too difficult to construct. Although bending the twin ammo feed for the bolt cannons did give me some headaches it was easy enough with the application of some hot water and a few pins to hold it in place. Honestly I wish I had used more pins on this model because the ankle joints aren't that sturdy and they could have used some reinforcement. Still, if it breaks I can always drill some pins in during the repair.

Left side!
As you can see, I added a handful of transfers from the Skitarii and Armiger transfer sheets to give a bit of interest. I've really been enjoying transfers lately and I feel it's a shame I didn't use them in the early days of my Adeptus Mechanicus army. Still, every model is an opportunity to expand your repertoire of techniques and I feel I have been able to do that with these.

Since finishing the Thanatar (only two days ago) I feel at a bit of a loss of which model to pick up next. I might do another 30k model or go back to Adeptus Mechanicus and add some more infantry or a Dragoon. Ah well, such is the joy of having an extensive hobby backlog I guess. Tune in next time to see what I decided to do!

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant job mate! Great scheme, nice Hazards and the purple plasma looks great again! Love your AdMech/Mechanicum. Oh for using these in 40k, maybe one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://weemen.blogspot.com/2017/01/mechanicum-force-so-far-jan-2017.html Mine :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot Siph! Funnily enough I have a game of 40k using mine tonight (with the fan made rules) we shall see how it goes.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I really dig that color scheme, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always been a big fan of that model and you have done a good job on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rory. I love the Thanatar as well, it's a beautiful thing.

      Delete