Tuesday 4 June 2019

Adeptus Mechanicus Ironstrider Ballistarius - Complete

As my last post said, I've been feeling a little adrift in the hobby wasteland lately. Nothing I can really put my finger on, but I just seem to have lost a bit of the usual drive which has pushed me through a lot of models in recent months. I did however manage to build and paint an Ironstrider Ballistarius recently to add to my Adeptus Mechanicus forces.

A bit of a tricky model to photograph.
Personally, I prefer the Sydonian Dragoon which can be built from the kit; however, I reasoned that an Ironstrider would add a different, and possibly less competitive element to my Mechanicus forces.

The kit itself was fine to build, a little fiddly in places but nothing to complain about. It certainly benefits from being painted in sub assemblies however. When I painted my Dragoon, I assembled it entirely first and was cursing myself throughout the painting process.

Check out the little transfer on the engine cowling.
I opted for twin lascannons with this one, mostly to drive the points cost up. The last thing my Mechanicus army needs at the moment is more dangerous, low cost models. They're tough enough in my meta as it is!

I did have the chance to try it out on the tabletop this past weekend against an Ork army fielded by one of my regular opponents. The Ironstrider proved to be pretty ineffective as I whiffed a few of my hit rolls. It chewed a few wounds off of a trukk and, in turn 4, spectacularly nailed two grots at long range but that was about it. Regardless of my ineptitude, it was another Mechanicus victory, so the forces of the Omnissiah continue to rampage unchecked.

After painting the Ironstrider I embarked on a bit of a building spree which has fired my hobby enthusiasm somewhat. I really love building models, so getting a few kits out and just throwing them together was deeply joyful. I'm currently working on a Questoris Knight Gallant, of which I hope to share some work in progress shots in the coming weeks.

4 comments:

  1. Great work! Loving the green scheme on this army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nicely painted but to me I couldn't build one as that. Such a terrible option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rory. It's not the best option, but a twin lascannon does have some useful applications. I certainly wouldn't use it in a competitive environment.

      Delete