Tuesday 28 August 2018

Freshly painted - Archmagos Belisarius Cawl

As I said in my last (rather rambling) post, I have been working on painting up Archmagos Belisarius Cawl to join my Adeptus Mechanicus forces. Well, I'm pleased to present him in all his cybernetic glory!



So many robot arms!
What can I say about this model? It's an incredible vision of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Cawl is festooned with different mechanical arms and legs; it really gives the impression that he has been upgrading himself constantly over thousands of years. As fashions change, he's added some hooves, or some claws or a weird set of shears. Really, all credit to the sculptor for bringing a piece of the 41st millennium to life.


The detail is incredible.
Perhaps understandably, Cawl took me a little while to paint. The level of detail really is intimidating; so much so that when I built his sub-assemblies (back in 2016) I thought 'There's no way I can paint that!' and he was shelved until just recently. Working my way through the Adeptus Mechanicus range gave me the confidence I needed to have a crack at him though and I'm really happy with the finished result.


A whole different set of arms.
As you can see I've gone for the green and beige of my usual Mechanicus scheme rather than the traditional red of Mars. I know Cawl is proudly Martian and should really be all in red, but surely he has some different coloured robes for special occasions? Or maybe it's just wash day??


The colour scheme seemed to work pretty well with the miniature though and I've tried to work in a bit more pink in various places to really make it pop. I think it's worked quite well and I might try to add a little more pink to my Ad Mech models in the future.


The Roomba of Doom-ba.
I particularly like the little metal spider/hoover thing above. There are loads of cool details on this model but I think this thing is my favourite.


So there you have it. Another 240 points added to my ever growing forces and a great model for the collection. I doubt he'll see the tabletop much, mostly because I find his points cost a little hard to swallow, but also because I like to use forgeworld Graia for my army and Cawl forces you to use Mars. Still, I will give him a try sometime soon and perhaps he will surprise me.


Stay tuned for my next post as I slowly creep towards 3000 points!

11 comments:

  1. Flippin Gorgeous mate! I’m not looking forward to painting mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Siph! I highly recommend building him in sub-assemblies for painting. There's no way you could get to all that detail if he's fully assembled.

      Delete
    2. Excellent, thanks for the heads up

      Delete
  2. Looks very well done, bravo. I am working my way up to painting mine soon. Any moment now. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rory. I've had him since 2016 so it's been a fairly long road for me too. Having said that, I still have minis from 2008 that I haven't got around to painting. But I will! Any moment now.....

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's such a lovely clean paint job! You're right about the pink too - it really does add a nice extra spark to the model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I love the pink on my Ad Mech. When I first started painting them it was pretty few and far between; but I find myself adding more and more. Pretty soon they'll just be solid pink blobs!

      Delete