A bit of roundup of a mixture of models I've painted throughout the 10th edition of Warhammer 40k.
First up is the Norn Emissary. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the overall size of this model. I have wanted a plastic super-heavy for Tyranids for many years and had hoped this would fall into that category. Sadly it's another mid-range monster joining an already bloated range.
 |
| She's pretty though |
Having said that, I do like the style of the model, I just wish it filled a different role in the Tyranid range. |
| I particularly like the large ventral spires. |
In game terms, this model has seen the shelf far more than the tabletop. To me, the price point seems prohibitive when compared with other, cheaper monsters. I have found its 'singular purpose' ability rather underwhelming too. |
| Lots of cool details. |
Next up is a group of Zoanthropes. I had these 3d printed and they are an excellent facsimile of the official sculpts. |
| Good quality prints. |
Unlike the Norn Emissary, I can always find a use for Zoanthropes. They have punishing firepower, an oppressive overwatch threat (particularly when combined with a Neurotyrant) and the 4+ invulnerable save can be difficult to break through. |
| Pretty little brain bugs. |
Somewhere down the line I want to paint up three more of these as well as a second Neurotyrant so that I can try fielding two groups. Still I'm working on other projects at the moment so they will have to wait.
Moving back to plastic kits we have the new(ish) pyrovore model. I have lots of Biovores already, so I elected to construct the kit in this format. I really like the latest sculpt and it helps bring the Biovore/Pyrovore model much more in line with the unified look of the Tyranid range.
 |
| Big flame bug. |
On the tabletop I haven't really found a use for Pyrovores (in any edition!) They are rather ponderous and the mediocre flamer they carry isn't much of a threat to anything. Still I like the concept and the miniature. |
| Much more insectile than the previous sculpt. |
Back to some basic infantry with the humble hormagaunt. I've always loved hormagaunts, from the weirdly terrifying (and poorly balanced) metal sculpts to the long-running 3rd edition plastics. These are the most modern version of the sculpt and they are really delightful.
 |
| Looks more like a swarm close-up. |
My Tyranid armies have always featured hormagaunts and that continues to this day. These have been regularly fielded alongside the older sculpts and, apart from the different base size, aren't noticeably different at tabletop level.
 |
| Just a humble group of ten infantry really. |
The Neurolictor is something of a different sculpt. It's gangly, and oddly posed. I did alter the posing of mine slightly by twisting the waist joint. I'm not sure how much of a difference that's really made though.
 |
| Just plain weird. |
I've fielded the Neurolictor a handful of times, but for my purposes I'm usually better off with a regular Lictor. I understand it's a synergy piece for other Tyranid units and I've never really managed to pull this off in practice. In my hands its just a weaker, more expensive Lictor. |
| Sorry Neurolictor, better luck next edition. |
Finally we have the Parasite of Mortrex. I like this model a lot and it's fun to use on the tabletop. Not especially competitive, but just amusing to create ripper swarms from your opponents models. This has certainly never been a game winner for me, but I take it every so often just for the annoyance factor. |
| Definitely looks cool. |
This was my first time trying something different for the wing membranes on my Tyranids and I liked it so much that I've adopted it going forwards. |
| "flap flap screech!" |
Despite not loving the game as much as I used to, I'm still regularly playing Warhammer 40k. My Tyranid collection has been a big part of keeping me interested in the game. It also helps enormously to be a part of a fun, casual, gaming group.
I am feeling the desire to add more Tyranids to the collection, so hopefully will make a further update post soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment