Wednesday 6 March 2019

Monster March - Hierophant Bio-Titan week 1

It's March once again and that means time for Monster March! This is an annual painting challenge run by Swordmaster over at Path of an Outcast. Once again I'm thrilled to participate with another huge model; this time, trying to finish off a Hierophant Bio-Titan for my Tyranid army. If you read my previous post, you will know that I had made a start on this beast a couple of years ago; but had never gotten around to completing the model. Well, it's time to change all that!

So terrifying!
As you can see from the above, I've made great progress this week; getting a lot of the base colours finished off and starting to add detail. It's been interesting to go back to a Tyranid after painting so many Adeptus Mechanicus models recently. My Tyranid colour scheme was created over a decade ago and was designed for a novice painter (me) to get reasonable looking models on the field quickly. I haven't been able to change the scheme much over the years because it would create disparity within the army. So, what you see on the Hierophant is a pretty basic paint scheme. 

On the one hand it's nice to paint something so simply and be able to make lots of quick progress. On the other, it's frustrating not to be able to apply skills that I've learned over the last ten years. Nevertheless, it's a bold, bright scheme and looks good on the tabletop. So I'm not too miserable about it.

I'm always amazed at the size of this thing.
In terms of progress, there's not too much left to do. Basically details to paint, a few areas to touch up and that big old base to deal with. If I have a good week next week it might even be finished by my next post! Then I will have to deal with the problem of trying to properly photograph a model this size!

Tune in next week to see how I'm getting on and if I decide to add a second model to the Monster March pledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment