Tuesday 16 July 2024

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Tomb Kings

Continuing with some of the projects I've been working on. I discovered that an army list for Tomb Kings was written for 5th edition fantasy in a copy of White Dwarf. After hunting it down I decided to start an army.

I've used a mix of models throughout, but I think they've turned out quite cohesive and the army looks nice as a whole. To start with, here's some classic GW skeletons from the old vampire counts range which were supplied with some decidedly Khemri looking metal parts for the banner and musician.

Retro, but still good models

I was very lucky to be given these by a friend who was getting rid of their old fantasy models. Some of the skeletons had suffered a bit over the years, but generally they weren't too difficult to rebuild.

The banner actually looks a bit 40k

I went for a turquoise colour on the shields in an effort to make them look more like Khemri skeletons and less like Vampire counts.

Next up is a classic screaming skull catapult. This is original metal, although the crew were sourced from separate sources. It's a wonderfully goofy model and I'm very pleased to have it in the army.


Nothing better than classic undead

Then we've got some tomb kings horsemen. I think these were originally released for 6th edition fantasy. They're basically the original skeleton steeds with some newer riders added and the iconic Tomb Kings shields. To me these seem very authentic and go a long way to making the army look correct.




Even got the command group

After painting these I noticed I had done the base rims in the wrong colour, so had to go back and redo them.

I didn't bother to take another photo though

Next up is the Tomb King himself. In the 5th edition list the Tomb King always comes with a chariot and the whole thing has a single stat line. I guess this was an attempt to simplify an army that would field a large amount of chariots. At first I didn't like this, but it actually seems to work well on the tabletop, so I've changed my mind since.


Behold the glory of Khemri

I sourced this model from TT Combat as part of their Maxmini range. It's a great little kit that required some clean up, but I'm happy with the end result.

The core of the army is made from skeletons which I bought from Warlord Games. They're very cheap and easy to paint which was very appealing when large units are the order of the day. The construction method on this kit is a little unusual, but once you get it down they're fairly straightforward.


Skeletons with spears

The boxed set also came with a Liche model who I've painted up to add some much needed magical support to the army. I've found that the Khemri list struggles to fit as many magic users as the Vampire Counts because of the general. So adding additional wizards is a must.


Leading from the front.

The Warlord games kit comes with no options for command models, so these were made from a variety of spares I had leftover from other kits.


Skeletons with swords

Then I added another chariot because the army desperately needs them. This was a rebuild of another of the original Tomb Kings kits. The crewman was replaced with one of the Warlord models as were the javelins.


Ride!

I'm quite pleased with the pose I managed on this chap. I think it adds some dynamism to the model.


Replaced the bow as well.

Finally, here's another shot of some of the skeletons led by a classic mummy sourced from Maxmini. I really like these guys and I think they are very similar to the old metal mummies from the classic undead range.


The banner was stolen from a space marine.

No comments:

Post a Comment