Friday 19 July 2024

Warhammer Fantasy - Classic High Elves

Something different today with a few classic plastic miniatures. I grew up playing fantasy battles in Warhammer 5th edition, so these high elves are highly nostalgic for me. I have painted a few High elf models previously from the Island of Blood set, and although the models are nice, I found them very time consuming to paint.

With that in mind I decided to try batch painting the old monopose plastic archers, to see if I could get a good, efficient result.


Classic colours, blue and white

With the use of a few contrast paints, I was able to turn these around in a reasonable time frame. I was surprised how well the old plastics have held up. Some of the features are a little large, but overall they're still good models. It's great to have a finished unit which looks as though it might have graced the battlefield back in the day.

I then turned my attention to some of the plastic spearmen. If anything I'd say these are even better than the archers in terms of model quality. The features seem a little finer and they have quite a lot of sculpted detail.


The static pose is quite nice for High Elves too.

I was lucky enough to be given a collection of metal High Elf models which contained enough for a full command group for this unit. I later learned that the champion pictured above is actually an old High Elf Lord model, so he could lead the army if needed. However I'm determined to add a mounted general at some point.

The unit reached 15 models in all with a full command. However I don't seem to have taken a photo of them, so you'll just have to make do with these 8.

Just imagine there's 7 more of them

 

2 comments:

  1. Such classic models. I've been really surprised how much I enjoyed returning to some of those monopose sculpts. There's something about the look of a classic regiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are pretty great. Writing this really made me want to paint more of them.

    ReplyDelete